Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Ninjas win the pennant! The Ninjas win the pennant!

Well, we finally did it. Monday night was the regular season finale, and we defeated Uno Mas 4-2 in a rematch of last season's title game. More importantly, we clinched the regular-season title with the win and the No. 1 seed going into the playoffs.

How do I feel about it? I would say pretty damned good, if I wasn't so superstitious. We've never won a regular season title before, in fact we've never been higher than a No. 3 seed. And, when we've won both of our playoff titles, we've never finished the regular season with a victory. So, the part of me that worries about history is a bit uneasy with things.

But, more than that, I'm proud of this team. I'll have to admit that it took us longer than usual to hit our stride, and for most of the season we didn't play to the same level of the teams from the last two seasons. But things have turned around the last few weeks, and Monday night was the best game we've played all season. We jumped out 3-0 against a very good team and didn't look back. We gave up a couple of runs in the last inning, but those things will happen against a good team.

So, the playoffs start on Monday, and we play...I don't know. We receive a bye into the second round by being the No. 1 seed, and because we're reseeding after the first round, we'll play whomever is the lowest seeded team remaining. Looking at the schedule, it could likely be Redrum (who because of a couple of bad results and two forfeits are the No. 10 seed out of 16 teams). I really hope that doesn't happen. Not because I'm afraid we'll lose (we wouldn't), but I'm getting of playing them in the playoffs. Too much tension and aggravation.

No comments: